Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Melted cups

Not long ago I came across a post from Rhonda at Dollar Store Crafts. If you have never been to this site, you should hop over sometime. It is filled with some clever ideas that costs just a few dollars. This project happened to be my favorite price - free!

Her project was for a washer style necklace made from a reused disposable cup. I thought it sounded like fun for the kids (OK - and me!) so I decided to give a whirl. Her cup was a Solo brand. I used the Target brand because I like the cool teal/blue color they came in. Plus I happened to have them on hand.


First I made the washer necklace just like in her directions. I would show it to you but my youngest thought it made a great pirate earring and I never saw it again. But if you click here you will see her necklace and get her directions on how to make one yourself. It is really neat to see how your designs change after melting.

Klutz tip - she set her oven to 225. I used a toaster oven and generic cups so I discovered that setting my oven to 275 worked a lot better. It also took longer for mine to melt.

Tween went crazy with this craft. We decided not to cut a hole and melt part of a cup and then a whole cup. Here is what we wound up with. (Nothing is white on the finished project that is just a glare from the sun.) As you can see my whole cup (on the left) kind of formed an oval. Tween's whole cup (in the center) came out much more circular. The one of the right is using the same part of the cup you would use for a necklace, only we didn't cut out the center.


Here is a detail of Tween's. She made the Earth with little people all around it. (She is the creative one - I just made designs.)



Then Tween got an idea - why not take them out of the oven BEFORE they melt all the way down? So she and her sister went back to work and I took their newest creations out when they decided they were ready. The result made for a cute bowl. Well - a wonky bowl if luck (and the heat of the oven) was against you. As you can see, Tall's bowl came out a bit funkified.






But Tween's came out looking fairly even. She paired it with her flat "saucer" and is now using it on her desk to put small things in. It works out nicely because the melted cup is much thicker and sturdier than an unmelted one.





Tall is trying to use hers as a hat for the cat.



Check out my right sidebar to see the parties I will be linking up to this week.



7 comments:

  1. So interesting, I never would have guessed it was a cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that neat! I have never seen this project before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I am going to try this when I get home :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I saw those cups at target and liked the colors more than the Solo cups. Good job making the bowls too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog! I am your newest follower and hope you visit me as well!
    http://the-w-s.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I found you on Show Off Your Stuff linky, and am now following. :)
    I just had to check this out... such a unique idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Jan at Jewelry4Change
    http://www.jewelry4change.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I'm your newest follower from the blog hop! I would love a follow back at www.lifesgristle.blogspot.com, while I look around your site!

    :)
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete